Happy Friday, people of Boulder! Here’s what you need to know about what’s happening today in and around Boulder today.
Friday’s weather: Snow showers; breezy, colder. High: 40 Low: 20.
Rent this space: Are you a local business owner or marketer in Boulder? We want to start showcasing trusted businesses who can solve problems for our amazing local readers. Learn more about how it works.
Here are the top stories in Boulder today:
- Emergency order issued that will relax rental requirements in Boulder. The City of Boulder issued a decree that will significantly relax rental rules in Boulder in order ‘to prevent displacement or possible homelessness of persons by a disaster emergency.’ (Reporting Lab)
- Gov. Jared Polis promises to focus on cleaner air, activist say it’s not enough. In his state of the state address, Polis promised more funding for cleaner air, while hundreds of demonstrators held a rally outside the state Capitol, demanding that Colorado take a more aggressive action toward climate change. (CPR)
- Boulder County disaster brings home reality of fire danger. If 1,000 homes can go up in flames as fast as they did in the Marshall fire, perhaps we should be asking ourselves if houses need to be built differently? (CO Politics)
- Two cities tried to fix homelessness, only one succeeded. The concept of housing first, long considered to be the best way to address homelessness, has had mixed results nationally. With a surge in pandemic homeless aid available, more housing is planned, but experts say it’ll only work with a coordinated, strategic plan in place. (Cronkite News)
- Arizona beats the Buffs. Colorado couldn’t overcome poor shooting Thursday night as the sixth-ranked Arizona team turned up the heat in the second half, and the Buffaloes dropped a 76-55 decision to the Wildcats. (CU Buffs)
From our sponsor:
Today’s Boulder Daily is brought to you in part by our friends at Verizon. They’re building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G is going to change life for you and your community — and to get access to this amazing technology — click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Boulder!
Today in Boulder:
- Spanish Conversation Group: At Boulder Public Library. (4 p.m.)
- Artikal Sound System: At the Fox Theatre. (7:30 p.m.)
- This weekend’s upcoming events: In and around Boulder. (Patch)
From my notebook:
- Wineries to visit in Boulder. Take a tour of Boulder’s small-but-mighty wine scene—to your weekend plans. (5280)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Blue Eyed Kelly back LIVE at BOCO Cider! (Jan. 14)
- Gritty Blues meets Elegant Cello LIVE at BOCO Cider! (Jan. 15)
- Singer-songwriter JW Morris is LIVE at BOCO Cider! (Jan. 16)
- Women’s Real Estate Investment Hour (Jan. 18)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (Jan. 22)
- Add your event
Loving the Boulder Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s it for today. I’ll see you first thing Saturday morning with another Boulder Daily update! — Brad K. Evans