Hi all! Kristen here with your Thursday edition of the Dunedin Daily, filled with everything you need to know about what’s going on locally.
First, today’s weather:
Humid; a morning shower. High: 91 Low: 78.
Big love to our premier local sponsors. We couldn’t keep the community informed without you!
- Is mold in your home making you sick? If so, you need to call The Mold Girl. Owner Liz Keefer is a local Council-Certified Indoor Environmental Consultant with over 12 years of experience providing mold testing services. She will thoroughly assess your home for visible or hidden mold issues and create a comprehensive remediation & prevention plan to restore your indoor air quality. Call Liz at (727) 205-6020 to schedule your inspection for only $575 and mention Patch for $50 off.
- Want to support local artists in Dunedin? Studio 1212 Art Gallery at 234 Monroe St. in Dunedin is a non-profit art gallery managed by award-winning local artists from our area. The gallery features original artwork, prints and cards and has a popular boutique of hand-crafted gift items. Hours are 11am – 3pm Wednesday to Sunday or visit studio1212.org to shop and to see exhibition schedules. And to support local artists by becoming a Patron of Studio 1212, go here.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
Here are the top three stories in Dunedin today:
- Chef Steven Capone of the HEW Parlor & Chophouse at the Fenway Hotel in Dunedin won the first competition of the seventh annual Epic Chef Challenge benefiting Feeding Tampa Bay. Capone competed against Chef Steven Franco of Cena at Grand Central at Kennedy in Tampa on July 18. The mystery ingredient used in round two of the competition was chosen by 10-year-old Danyla, a member of the Boys & Girls Club. Danyla chose cheesy Doritos! Check out photos from the event on Facebook or watch the full competition on YouTube. The second competition will be held on July 25 between Chef Suzanne Crouch of the Rooster & the Till in Seminole Heights and Chef Caleb Edwards of The Mill in South Tampa. (Feeding Tampa Bay via Facebook | YouTube)
- PAVA’s “Cool Art Show” is scheduled to return to the St. Petersburg Coliseum on July 23 and July 24 and will feature 60 Florida artists working in paint, wood, ceramics, metal, and photography. More than an exhibit, the show will include live demonstrations from artists and instructors from the Dunedin Fine Art Center, Lorraine Potocki, and Debra Thomas Weible. PAVA will also provide children’s activities such as a scribble wall and a paper-cut art station. Learn more about the event on the PAVA website. (The Gabber | PAVA Artists)
- Pinellas County has come to an agreement with St. Pete regarding the Cross Bay Ferry. Pinellas County commissioners felt they were paying too much for the service after spending $190,000 last year. Under the new agreement, the county and city of St. Petersburg will pay a lump sum of $129,500 covering three years of the new contract. The Cross Bay Ferry is a seasonal transportation service with stops in St. Petersburg and Tampa. (Myq105 | Tampa Bay Business Journal- Subscription Required)
Dunedin Daily Pic of the Day:
Palm tree at sunset | Submitted by Todd BackusThank you Todd Backus for submitting your gorgeous photo of this palm tree at sunset!
Want to see your Dunedin photo here? Submit it to [email protected] for consideration! Please confirm in the email that you own the rights to the photo, and that Patch has permission to republish it.
Today in Dunedin:
- Dunedin Coffee Connections at Orange Blossom Cafe (9:00 AM)
- Pub Crawlers Happy Hour at Sea Sea Riders (5:00 PM)
- Meet the Artists at The Hub (5:00 PM)
- Bad Words Brush Lettering at the Dunedin Fine Arts Center (6:30 PM)
- Bonsai and Brews at 3 Daughters Clearwater Beach (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Meet LeAnne, an adorable pup waiting at Pinellas County Animal Services for her forever home! In this video, she’s packing up her blankie and ready to go home with her forever family! Contact Pinellas County Animal Services in Largo to meet LeAnne and all of the other dogs up for adoption. (Pinellas County Animal Services via Facebook | Pinellas County Animal Services)
- The Pinellas County Department of Solid Waste is hosting a Mobile Collection Event for unwanted household electronics and chemicals on Saturday, July 23 between 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Place all items in your vehicle’s trunk and remain in your car when you arrive at the Pinellas County Government Center in Clearwater. See the county’s website to learn more. (Pinellas County Government via Facebook | Pinellas County)
- Causeway Cleaners in Dunedin posted a heartwarming sign in their window! It states, “If you are unemployed and need an outfit cleaned for an interview we will do it for free.” (Direct from Dunedin via Facebook)
- Reminder: The Dunedin Public Library is hosting a Bird Identification Seminar on July 25 at 6:00 PM. Paul Trunk of the Clearwater Audubon Society will lead you through questions to make you better birders and more aware of Florida’s nature and wildlife. No registration is required. (Dunedin Friends of the Library via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Tarot Card Readings and Intuitive Consultations with Nicole! One on One and / or Parties! (Details)
- Add your item
You’re officially in the loop for today! See you all tomorrow morning for your next update.