Hello, friends. I’m back in your inbox this morning with all the most important things happening these days in town. Today you’ll find news about these stories and more:
- Southdown Coffee opened its fifth location in Port Jeff.
- New date for the Village’s annual golf outing.
- Port Jefferson Post Office history and more!
But first, today’s weather:
Windy; a little morning rain. High: 61, low: 50.
Here are the top four stories in Port Jefferson today:
- Last month, Southdown Coffee opened its fifth spot at 440 Main St. in Port Jefferson. Owner Mark Boccard first invested in the coffee business in 2014 after working in coffee shops for years. Boccard plans to open a new location in Patchogue sometime this fall. (Patch)
- Port Jefferson Village announced the new date for the Annual Golf Outing. The event is set for Oct. 6 at 11 a.m. Tickets are $50 per person, which includes a cart, gift bag, dinner, and snacks. The outing had to be rescheduled due to the weather conditions. (Port Jefferson Village)
- Local History: Did you know the first post office established in Port Jefferson was called “Satucket?” The building was first opened in 1801, having resident Zachariah Hawkins serving the community as the postmaster. Hawkins lived at the building that is now the Infant Jesus Roman Catholic Church on the corner of Myrtle Avenue and Main Street. (TBR News Media)
- Port Jefferson School District is hosting school tours on the following dates and times: Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 5 p.m.; Saturday, Oct. 29, at 9 a.m., and Thursday, Nov. 17, at 7 p.m. Attendees will visit the facilities that need improvements in the school such as the bathrooms for accessibility, the need of better indoor air quality and the turf field project. (Press Release Desk)
Today in Port Jefferson:
- Event – Port Jefferson Free Library. (All Day)
- Pilates Workshop – Port Jefferson Free Library. (10 a.m.)
- Long Island Quilters – Port Jefferson Free Library. (1 p.m.)
- Teen Magic the Gathering Commander – Port Jefferson Free Library (6 p.m.)
- Glow in the Dark Sugar Skull Jars – Port Jefferson Free Library. (7 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Port Jefferson Village Board of Trustees will discuss future marketing campaigns today at 4 p.m. in the Village Hall. (Patch)
- Port Jefferson Patch: “Students in Edna Louise Spear Elementary School spanned the globe to learn to say hello in dozens of languages, including German, French, Italian, Mandarin, Spanish and Swahili.” (Patch)
- Port Jefferson Free Library: “It’s October, so that means it’s time to enjoy everything spooky! We kick off the month today with a fun and interesting program about the Haunted Theatres of Broadway! We still have a few spots left, so register today!” (Port Jefferson Free Library via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Free Baton Twirling Class W/ Titanium Twirlers. (October 4)
- We’re Not Going Anywhere, Kathy! (October 6)
- AUDITIONS for “The Elves & the Shoemaker” (Charles Dickens Festival). (October 8)
- OctoberFest sponsored by M&T Bank. (October 8)
- EmblemHealth Healthier Futures Wellness Expo: Free Live Music & More! (October 8)
- Add your event
That’s it for today! I’ll see you soon.
— Debora Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.