Long Island Sound, NY — The Long Island Sound was a sea of failing grades this week, thanks in part to torrential rains.
There’s no longer any need to guess which Long Island Sound beaches have the cleanest water ahead of the weekend. Save the Sound has released its sixth weekly water quality report of the swimming season.
Save the Sound announced last month that their seasonal water quality monitoring program started and the samples are being analyzed by their team in the John and Daria Barry Foundation Water Quality Lab in their new Larchmont office. The team collects samples from 62 sites in Westchester County, Greenwich and Queens and brings them back to the lab to test for fecal indicator bacteria.
You can read more about the fecal bacteria water monitoring here.
The fecal indicator bacteria concentration in water at a beach determines whether or not the water is safe for people to swim in. High fecal bacteria counts and associated pathogens in the water can make people ill and can be associated with untreated sewage or increased amounts of polluted stormwater.
SEE ALSO: Surprises In New LI Sound Beach Grades Released By Environmental Group
2022 Westchester County WQM Results Week 5 (7/18-7/21):
- Glover Field, Mount Vernon: 10X Fail
- Upstream of Farrell and Beechwood, Mount Vernon: 10X Fail
- Outfall at Farrell and Beechwood, Mount Vernon: 10X Fail
- Pelham Lake at Wilson Wood Park, Mount Vernon: 10X Fail
- Shore Park, Pelham Manor: Fail
- Glen Island Park, New Rochelle: Pass
- Glen Island Approach, New Rochelle: 10X Fail
- Neptune Boat Club, New Rochelle: 10X Fail
- Five Islands Approach at Le Fevres Ln., New Rochelle: Fail
- Five Islands Park on Beach, New Rochelle: Fail
- Premium River at Pryer Manor Rd., New Rochelle: 10X Fail
- Larchmont Harbor at Park Ave., Larchmont: Pass
- Flint Park, Larchmont: 10X Fail
- Sheldrake Lake, New Rochelle: Fail
- Sheldrake River at Bonnie Briar Lane, Mamaroneck: Fail
- Beach Point Club, Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Harbor Island Beach, Mamaroneck: Pass
- Shore Acres Yacht Club, Mamaroneck Village: Pass
- Mamaroneck Harbor East Basin, Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Phillips Park Rd., Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Sheldrake River at Columbus Park, Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Station Park Rd., Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at North Barry Ave. Ext., Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Mamaroneck Harbor at Taylor Ln, Mamaroneck Village: Pass
- Otter Creek at S. Barry Ave. Bridge, Mamaroneck Village: 10X Fail
- Guion Creek at South Barry Ave. Bridge, Mamaroneck Village: 10X Fail
- Van Amringe Milpond, Mamaroneck Village: Pass
- Beaver Swamp Brook at Boston Post Rd., Mamaroneck Village: No Data
- Beaver Swamp Brook at Rye Neck HS, Mamaroneck Village: 10X Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Joint Water Works, Mamaroneck Village: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Saxon Woods Park, Mamaroneck: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Reynal Rd., White Plains: Fail
- Mamaroneck River at Saxon Woods Rd., White Plains: Fail
- Beaver Swamp Brook at Truxton St., Harrison: Fail
- Beaver Swamp Brook at Greenwood Union Cemetery, Harrison: Fail
- Rye Marshlands Conservancy, Rye: Fail
- Rye Playland Park, Rye: Pass
- Blind Brook at Disbrow Park, Rye: 10X Fail
- Playland Lake at Edith Read Natural Park, Rye: Pass
- Blind Brook, Rye Nature Center, Rye: 10X Fail
- Byram River at Columbus Park, Port Chester: 10X Fail
Additional information for each of these sites can be found here.
Save the Sound said that everyone can help reduce sewage pollution sources by conserving water which will lessen the wear-and-tear on the water infrastructure and reduce sewage overflows by lowering the volume of water in the system. The organization also recommends that homeowners repair sewer lines that connect their homes to municipal sewers or maintain their septic systems. Dog owners should put pet waste in the trash and never in a catch basin or on the street.
Communities and homeowners can create rain gardens to help reduce runoff. If you see sewage overflowing in your community, you can email a photo or video with details about the time and location to this address.