» Enter the house only after making sure there is no electric shock, snakes, or reptiles. Put your chappals.
» Disinfect the house thoroughly before occupying it.
» Clean water-logged wells with bleaching powder
» Make sure the toilet waste tank is not damaged by flooding and waste is not mixed with water.
» Use cooking utensils and glasses after washing them in boiled water or 1% chlorine solution for 20–30 minutes.
» Avoid mosquito breeding conditions
» Consume only boiled lukewarm water
How to clean the water-logged well?
For normal chlorination, you need 2.5 grams of bleaching powder per 1000 liters. Mix this with some water and make a paste, then mix this paste in a bucket full of water. Keep it aside for 10 minutes. Then the lime will settle to the bottom of the solution and the chlorine will mix well with the water above. Lower this bucket to the bottom of the well and keep raising and lowering it. Water should be used only after one hour. The water should smell slightly of chlorine. That is the right amount. If you don’t get that smell, add a little more chlorine. The smell will reduce after a day. After leaving the water open for a while, the taste will change. It is better to wait for the murky water to clear slowly.
While using the electronic equipment
» There is a possibility of a short circuit when electricity is flowing because of the presence of water and mud in switches, metres, and plugs.
» Do not touch any broken service wire, line wire, or earth wire around the house.
» Immediately inform the electricity board office.
» Start cleaning the house only after removing the fuse next to the meter and switching off the main switch.
» Those with inverters and solar panels should turn it off and disconnect the battery.
» The condition of the earth electrode should be checked to ensure safety.
» Even if the water goes down, there is a possibility that water will remain inside the wiring pipe. This can also cause a short circuit.
(Information Credit: Reg. V. Kuryakos District Fire Officer, Kottayam.)