How does this work?
Published August 7, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Homes and businesses in Hamilton along a portion of Barton St. East are without power this afternoon as a heat warning remains present for the city.
Alectra Utilities reports a limited power outage affecting approximately 345 customers in the area from Barton St. East to Heath St. and Glennie Ave to Talbot St.
The cause of the outage is not known at this time, but Alectra says crews have been dispatched to make repairs.
The estimated time for power restoration is 4 p.m. later today.
Hamilton residents who are about to face four hours without power are reminded to drink water and stay cool any way they can.
Hamilton Public Libraries with air conditioning closest to the power outage location are the Parkdale Branch at 256 Parkdale Ave North as well as the Red Hill Branch at 695 Queenston Rd.
The city of Hamilton reminds residents to perform the following precautionary measures to stay cool:
- Drinking lots of water
- Going to an air-conditioned place such as your home, library or community centres.
- Wearing a hat and loose-fitting, lightweight clothes
- Taking a bath or shower with cool water or if this is not possible, running cool water over your wrists or putting your arms or feet in cool water
- Closing your blinds or curtains
- Opening your windows to let air circulate while using a fan, only if the outdoor air is cooler than the indoor air
- Limiting physical activity during the day
- Having cold meals to eat
- Cooking outside instead of turning on the stove
- Calling your doctor if you have heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps, weakness, tiredness, dizziness, headache, fainting, nausea and/or vomiting
Visit Hamilton’s website for more tips and locations for where to seek cooler temperatures in the city.
insauga’s Editorial Standards and Policies
Stay the know
Subscribe now to receive our daily email of today’s top stories in your city!